Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What do we do now?

A lot of folks have asked me, Captain, what do we do now?

Although the market turmoil of the past few months has generated lots of opportunities, there is no way that a "normal" person can perceive and act on them in a responsible way. This is because the game is sorta rigged right now. Anytime the federal government starts tinkering with the financial markets like they have been doing recently, you are taking a big risk to jump in. I think of myself as an ant playing around the feet of elephants.

For the time being, I am putting 50% into GLD shares (gold etf) and 50% into cash.

I do not think that Geitner and Obama know what they are doing; I don't know if anyone is clever enough to "know" what to do in such a complex situation. But I believe they are using a trial and error approach, and that scares me. It can lead to wild gyrations as they attempt to compensate for their mistakes.

It's not a pretty picture, is it?

No comments: